Monday, January 15, 2007

"Looking back at our own educational experience" was the topic of a recent ELIP (English Language Improvement Programme) session I’m running.

The rate of enrolment in education in Ethiopia is 85% as of October 2006. This compares to 27% in 1991, which of course is when the current government came into power. It’s clear from my discussions with teachers and others that progress has been made in recent years.

Many teachers recalled classes conducted under trees, and walking several hours to school.

Now, although there are some dass (temporary structures) and many dark and dingy classrooms, and classrooms without desks, there are also many quite decent school buildings. I have never seen a class under a tree. I could be wrong, but I would guess that they don’t exist any more in Tigray region, at least not in the formal education system.

Work is still needed on access to education: 15% is not a small number, and in some regions the figure is much higher. But quality of education is now a big focus, through programmes such as cluster and higher diploma (training for teacher educators).

1 comment:

Terri said...

Hi Rebecca
I was a VSO in Mekelle, at the university, a couple of years ago. Just came across your blog and have enjoyed reading it...hope you can keep it up! As I recall it, the volunteers in Adwa had little or no internet access when I was there (03-05) so it seems things have improved a little. Your experiences are reminding me of life there (which I mostly enjoyed).Depressing that there are problems with the REB but not surprising...I think VSO could do more to put new vols in touch with old ones, I'm sure some of the previous vols could have (could be now) filling you in on things you've learned while you're there (such as the uselessness of the plasma screens!).
Anyway, keep it up, good luck with it all and enjoy it!
Terri